CDS Celebrates Earth Week April 16–20
Under the guidance of our mission and core beliefs, Carolina Day School purposefully promotes environmental sustainability through our daily actions and long-range planning. Earth Week, which takes place this year April 16–20, is a great time for our school to recognize our impact on the environment and to celebrate efforts that promote responsible stewardship of our planet and its resources.
Each year, the entire CDS community celebrates Earth week in April with a theme for each day and an All-School Picnic. Additionally, this year CDS launched its new Hiking Challenge: to complete eight hikes between the beginning of the school year and Earth Week 2018, getting outdoors and experiencing the wonders of our beautiful natural surroundings. During our Earth Day celebration on Friday, April 20, we will recognize all students who met this challenge.
Here are the themes of each day for the week:
- Monday, April 16: Teach Outside Day; Some classes will head outdoors, weather permitting
- Tuesday, April 17: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and COMPOST focus
- Wednesday, April 18: Lights Out/Conserve Energy Day
- Thursday, April 19: Walk/Bike to School; Carpool; Share the Ride
- Friday, April 20: All-School Picnic and Pack It In/Pack It Out Day (no waste); We are encouraging everyone to bring his/her own lunch on this day, and it's a dress down or dress green day for students! We will also reward our Hiking Challenge Winners during lunch.
We encourage everyone to celebrate Earth Week with us! Whether you take a picture of yourself picking up a piece of trash, sharing a ride, or building a compost bin, hashtag your photos on social media #CDSEarthWeek and #