Becoming a Host Family
Opening Doors to the World
Carolina Day School provides life-changing experiences for CDS host families and talented young scholars from around the world. In short, by hosting an international student, you open doors of opportunity and understanding for your children and the visiting student as well.
In order to attract the brightest students who will thrive in our community, CDS partners with ASSIST, a U.S.-based nonprofit organization that matches academically talented, multi-lingual international students with American independent secondary schools. During a one-year school stay, an ASSIST scholar serves as a cultural ambassador, actively participating in classes and extracurricular activities.
Our success with this program centers around the ability to secure host families who value education and believe in our mission to inspire students to make a meaningful difference in the world. If this sounds like a good fit for your family, please let us know by calling the admission office at 828-407-4442. The ASSIST website has great resources as well.
As a host, you’ll:
- Develop a lifelong friendship with a world-class scholar who’s likely to go on to become an international leader
- Become a citizen of the world without leaving home
- Open doors of opportunity for an exchange student that would never have been possible without you
- Provide the supportive, safe home-away-from-home you’d want for your own children studying abroad
- Change the world—and yourself—one relationship at a time
- Expose your own children to a larger world and revolutionize your family’s dinner conversations
Even the most dedicated host family needs time to regroup and keep previous commitments. That's where respite families come in! Please consider this temporary housing assignment, over a weekend, for example, that will provide this for a host family.